Sunday, July 1, 2012

Sunday, July 1: Finishing Stuff Up!


The Girl Who Played With Fire (Millennium, #2)The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Well, I wasn't surprised that after about 15 pages of The Girl Who Played with Fire, I couldn't put it down. . . well, it was hard to put it down. I consciously rationed it, having read the first one, so that I had time to read to the end once things got climactic. And, of course, they did.

This, the second in the "Girl" series, is less sexually graphic, but more violent, so I still wouldn't want to see the movie, thank you very much. The plot has several strands that gradually come together, and once again the ending features a few surprises that work even when one is expecting them. In addition, the end of the book does shoot the reader right into the third book (Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest), but, kindly enough, this edition includes the first chapter from it so I got some details. That said, if our library was open on Sundays or if we had an independent book store, I'd head right down to the #3 as soon as I posted this review.

Not for the faint hearted or for those who like their police/investigative novels only on the cozy side, but so far, this series is spectacular.

I do wonder, though, how Larsson's depiction of Sweden as a country full of corruption, sexual predators, and isolated woods full of undiscovered bodies has effected tourism there!


View all my reviews

No comments: