Thursday, August 20, 2015

Thursday, August 19: Updatin'!

Alice, I Think (Alice MacLeod, #1)Alice, I Think by Susan Juby
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Started off well with an hysterical satire of over-permissive parents who indulge their kids in any weird whim and don't prepare them for the realities of life; Alice's travails as she enters high school start to drag, and then the plot seemed to lose all direction and I skimmed to the end. An early Susan Juby.

Making Piece: a Memoir of Love, Loss and PieMaking Piece: a Memoir of Love, Loss and Pie by Beth M. Howard
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

Making Piece was recommended by Orangette, the blogger whom I adore, but I did not like it at all. Her writing is self-conscious and dense, full of mixed metaphors and tortured similes: "His hands crimped the crust's edge, moving aroudn the circle with the deft and speed of a seaman coiling ropes". "This grieving business was like making pie for the first time. One needs some instruction in how to do it--consult a recipe, make a grocery list, and go after the goal with gusto."

She tries to do a symbolic examination of loss . . .and pie. . . but wow. Major fail in my mind.

Other Waters: A NovelOther Waters: A Novel by Eleni N. Gage
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Enjoyed this novel much more than I expected to. It's written by a Greek-American woman in the voice of an Indian-American woman, focusing on the issue of relationships, finding a spouse, and pleasing one's parents. The inside-view of life in India was fascinating even as I wondered how legitimate it was. Enjoyable and vivid, if a little "where is my life going/why can't I find a guy?" whiny in spots.

View all my reviews

No comments: