Tuesday, July 29, 2008

7/29: Still July!


It's about 9 am on this Tuesday; boys are gone to work and to camp; husband is returning from his fun overnight to Boston. The workmen next door are certainly there; I woke up at 5 with Elder and have been up since, making blueberry cake for lunch with my friend Cathi and reading more Jane Eyre; it's getting close to the end (within 100 pages!).

Our little chickens have ventured into the downstairs of their pen today and are investigating the outdoors, which is fun to watch. However, I'm also keeping an eye on the cats, who have been casually (cat-sually?) surveying the whole set up. . . We hope to keep these two safe from various predators but also to allow them fresh air and some roaming, so it'll be good to get the balance right now.

My sourdough is on its fourth? iteration. This time I'm just feeding the starter and letting it grow and bubble. The third batch of bread was the closest to edible--Lyle and I both had pieces--but it was definitely not risen enough. The trouble shooting is frustrating because it says, "Could have risen too much, or not enough"; " could have been baked at too high heat, or the oven could have been too cool." Well, thanks a lot. I don't like wasting flour and time, so I'd prefer to have clearer feedback! The whole wheat flour and a little more warmth seem to have made a difference in the starter so far; I'll coddle it a few more days and then try one. more. time. and see where we end up!

Bike ride today, I think: my heel still hurts a LOT at some times and I think a week off from running is key. I am on my feet a lot regardless so I'm trying for no-impact exercise rather than just switching to walking, and it's also interesting for me to try no formal workouts as I am such a structure junkie. But: riding around and then down to the church to deadhead for a while should get me some sweating without pain.

Summer! It's still JULY--and I love it. Getting the prep done for Global Lit. and then having that great meeting on Saturday were key steps in taking care of that greasy bubbling guilt/dread pit that can emerge when I think of the End of August. . . How long it takes me to learn: procrastination is NOT my friend!

Off to hang up the wash.

No comments: