Friday, January 3, 2014

Jan. 3: Snow Day for RSU 24, and Snow for all!

My last real school day of vacation (get that?) and a day I've resolved to Do Some School Work. It is still bitter cold, and has added snow (tiny, steady, business-like flakes) and wind to the pallette. We got a lot last night, which I didn't expect. Luckily, today is my Day Off From Working Out, so I may not even go outside. Ha!

However, I do want to make pancakes and possibly read some Signature of All Things before I start working. And knit on the baby booties for Anna's twins, and. . . . oh yeah. School work!

So. . . made some super-duper pumpkin pancakes with extra pumpkin and pecans (doubled the batch, too: added a whole can of pumpkin, didn't double the sugar, added about a 1/2 cup of chopped pecans, went heavy on the spices. Cook slowly at first so they get done in the middle. Yum). Off to a good start.


The NonesuchThe Nonesuch by Georgette Heyer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Loved everything about this book except the ending, which reads as if Heyer looked up at the clock and realized the book was due at the publisher five minutes before. I honestly thought the audio was messed up--but, no! It was a disappointment, but much of the rest of the novel was a frothy, pleasurable escape.

Christmas at High RisingChristmas at High Rising by Angela Thirkell
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is not really "Christmas at High Rising" ; it's "A collection of Thirkell's writing, some of which has to do with Christmas, and some of which maybe didn't need to be collected at all." But, in general, I wanted to read the collection and am glad I did!

Life of PiLife of Pi by Yann Martel
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Well, Nate insisted that I read this book and, after several false starts, I did: It was my "stretch book" for our long Christmas vacation. And I read it, and I have no idea why it was such a hit. The first 1/3 dragged, in my mind; the wounded animals/being eaten part was gross; the mechanical details were numbing, and then the whole was it/wasn't it? part at the end was . . . weird. I did like some parts (the floating island) and Pi's thoughts on fear ad survival were interesting in places, but overall, I couldn't see huge value in it. It was imaginative, unusual, and unpredictable, but I could have not read it, and I would've been fine. BUT I'm glad it's off my TBR pile, finally!

View all my reviews

No comments: