Saturday, October 18, 2014

Oct. 18: Nate's Weekend Home: Some books, some editing, some knitting!

The Family ManThe Family Man by Elinor Lipman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Another enjoyable Lipman offering! This one is almost pure pleasure because I never felt that "my people" were in danger of any kind of emotional pain, so even Lipman's trademark annoying/selfish/mean characters didn't worry me much. The book really didn't have a climax or much tension, so many readers might find it dull, but for a stressful work week, it was ideal.

I do feel that we're due a new Lipman soon! Hope she agrees with me!

The Beginning of EverythingThe Beginning of Everything by Robyn Schneider
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Davonne recommended this one with great praise, but I found it (after about the first third) only skim-worthy. The main character isn't believable as a prior teen golden boy, brought down by an accident, and the whole depiction of the high school world he moves in is wooden and unconvincing. I skimmed to the end and was disappointed by the coincidence that resolves the conflict. . . . so: two stars it is.

View all my reviews

No comments: