Sunday, October 19, 2014

Oct. 19: Off He Goes. . . .




We had a great weekend! Sticky buns, knitting project planning, "Spamalot" at the Grand last night (hysterical!), a long run (puff), and a lot of cat time for him! We'll head to Bates to see his play and his concert on the weekend of November 14, and then he'll come home for a week the next weekend! So nice to have a college be so handy.



Anyone But YouAnyone But You by Jennifer Crusie
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Dragged a bit in the middle (lots of lust but not much actual tension) but overall, a fluffy, fun read. One thing I really like about Crusie is that she has faith in guys--her heroes are always likable, decent men who have their flaws but also internal lives. I was sorry Max didn't have a bigger role in this one, but Alex was great!

Boy21Boy21 by Matthew Quick
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Meh. Another skimmable ya novel. . . . I was especially distressed by the flatness of the characterization, both of his family and of the town. Really disappointed at the resolution (I'll leave it there, hoping to avoid spoilers). It feels like this was an early Quick effort, and my! his writing has developed, judging by The Good Luck of Right Now's depth and compassion compared to Boy21.

View all my reviews

No comments: