Saturday, April 28, 2018

April 28: Project Record: The Classic Shirt!

Well. I am hoping that I can follow this detailed shirt project to learn how to create the comfy, classy, fun shirts that I love to wear and that are way too hard to find or too expensive to buy. We'll see.

As part of my wonderful April vacation with Cyrille, our visitor from France, I was able to set aside a few hour-long work sessions to get the fabric washed and the shirt nearly cut out.

I really like the fabric, but/and it was 2.49/yd from Marden's, so it's okay to use as a muslin. I did pay full price for the pattern from Sewing by the Sea, and once I get confident with the pattern, I will probably get some really nice fabric from them for repeat versions, so no guilt there.

Today I finished the cutting and am about to mark the pieces and then cut out the interfacing *and* sew all the stay-stitching, all before staring "step one" of the sewalong, which is the front band and darts. This may be a long project--but I hope it will be filled with learning and progress!

**ETA on Sunday, April 29: Had a lovely two-shot session, one doing the cutting (about an hour in the morning) and then one doing the marking and stay-stitching (an hour-plus in the afternoon listening to Abbi Waxman's not-very-good Other People's Houses) with the window open so I could enjoy the sunny air blowing in over my workspace! I hope to get another hour put in this afternoon, but Sundays are always a bit unpredictable. Still: I love the fabric, and I'm encouraged by how well the "only an hour" mindset works to get me to actually engage!

No comments: