Saturday, May 5, 2018

May 5: Spring! And some steps forward on the shirt!

I've been trying the "just one hour" approach, and so far it's gotten me moving a few times when I wasn't particularly motivated. I have cut out all the pieces, marked them, and cut all the interfacing. Today, I made the "wearer's right set-in placket," the steps to which were confusing in a few places, but the comments on the (not really very helpful [more on that in a minute]) sewalong helped me figure out one fuzzy spot and helped me decide to wing it in another. I'm pleased with the result so far!


(That's my neatly edge-stitched set-in placket.)

So, the sewalong: so far it's mostly photos added to the directions. There's a blurb at the top from the designer, but the directions are word-for-word from the pattern, AND, especially annoyingly, the fabric in the example shirt looks the same on both sides, so there's no helpful contrast for visual learners like me. Maybe it will get "helpfuller" as time goes on, but so far it's a "partially meets" for me!

Still: I am happy to have gotten one of the fiddly bits done. I feel like I'd like to do the other and stick the buttons and holes on right off, as the buttonholes have been my bĂȘte noire for years.

Ooh: I guess I do the other band next, and then I do the darts, the pockets, and the back tucks, so the fiddly stuff is coming at me hard. I may be able to do an hour tomorrow, though, in my lovely sunny workroom.

Onwards!

No comments: