Sunday, May 6, 2018

May 6: Another Hour. . . .

. . .on the shirt, and I finished the other placket (this one set in, not sewn on) and did the darts. The Sewalong presents the pockets as the start of step two, and since I'll have to sew OVER the dart, I think that might mark the start of my frustrating "do your best and then iron the hell out of it" stage, so I decided to quit and wait till next weekend to start that. If this is truly a mess, I might even *skip* the pockets. I mean. . . really. . . .

The darts seem okay, though a tad pointy (perhaps a good reason for a pocket or two?). I tried the "shrink your stitch size till the very end" technique that I had read about elsewhere, so we'll see if that makes a difference.

One other frustration with the pattern is the layout/cutting info: the only place that #s of pieces and interfacing requirements are listed is right on the pattern pieces themselves, which is frustrating to check should one forget or some such human error. ALSO: the two placket pieces of 1" x 29" interfacing aren't mentioned as pieces per se, so one stumbles upon them after one has put one's interfacing away. . . . But one has now added a lot of notes to the pattern, so one will not make that mistake again, one hopes.

I'd say my self-satisfaction was at a 10/10 yesterday; today it's about a 9/10, but I am anticipating a plunge to an 8/10 "good enough for government work" level when the pocket gets involved. Anyway. Here's a non-helpful dart-and-second-placket picture. Over and out.


No comments: