Friday, May 28, 2010

May 28: FRIDAY of Memorial Day Weekend!

I copied THIS from Letters from a Hill Farm's blog. . . and SHE said, I saw this at Cornflower's blog this morning and here are her words about where it came from.

Here's a meme from Bookish NYC via Life must be filled up; do take it to your own blog or answer the questions in the comments on this post if you wish.


Do you snack while reading?
Sure, but not always. I'll come in from work and plop down with my snack and a drink (see below) but it doesn't have to be that way.

What is your favourite drink while reading?
Winter/Fall/Spring: hot tea; summer: iced tea of our family recipe.

Do you tend to mark your books while you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?
If I'm reading for school, I mark a LOT. Otherwise, usually not, unless there are editing errors. THOSE I mark, even in library books. For shame, sloppy editors!

How do you keep your place? Bookmark? Dog-ears? Laying the book open flat?
I try to bookmark. I rarely dogear unless the book is TERRIBLE, and I don't usually smash them flat.

Fiction, non-fiction or both?
Mostly fiction but will read non-f. with pleasure too.

Do you tend to read to the end of a chapter or can you stop anywhere?
Depends. I like to read to ends of chapters, but sometimes when I realize I am falling asleeeeeeep while trying to get to the end, I'll just stop.

Are you the type of person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you?
Nope, tho my best friend and I use that as hyperbole. I just stop and return or donate it. HA!

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away?
Not usually. Honestly, I don't usually come across words I don't know. . . . as I think about it. Hmmm.

What are you currently reading?
The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver. I like it a lot, though it's a weird, very specific topic and very different from her others (which makes me a little sad, as I liked those!)

What is the last book you bought?
Fiction: Major Pettigrew's Last Stand. In hardcover. Totally worth it.
Knitting: Weekend Knitting, for less than my $10 gift cert. Ha!

Do you have a favourite time/place to read?
Anytime. I was shocked to realize how little I'd been reading for long stretches, as reading was my opium as a kid. But I like anywhere/anytime nowadays!

Do you prefer series books or stand-alones?
Both, unless the author gets annoyingly predictable or zanily tries to keep our attention.

Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over?
For people in bad places but with a sense of humor: Anne Lamott
For people who have patience: Ladies' No 1 Detective Agency
For teens and adults who are witty and funny: Terry Pratchett.
I could go on!

How do you organise your books?
No way at all. Not enough bookshelves in this house so it's usually a scramble. I do like a tempting pile, so often I pile the "to be read" books in my study and then tell myself, "No more new ones till this pile is gone!"--but it never works!

Barbara's additional question: background noise or silence?
Am a teacher of high school; come from a big family; now have a lively, active family. . . . I read however it comes! Often knit while I do if the book will stay open!

No comments: