Tuesday, July 3, 2012

July 3: Little Bee and New Dress


Little BeeLittle Bee by Chris Cleave
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Wow. I read Little Bee in two days--it's intense and absorbing. The whole secrecy part about "we don't want to tell you too much about this book" is completely unnecessary (and a tad annoying): the book stands on its own as a morally brave, devastating, but uplifting work without such marketing hoopla.

Reading Little Bee is a bit like getting hit in the stomach. The story raises moral issues that no one should have to face--but it's also funny and loving and redemptive.

Whew. I think I need some fluff!


View all my reviews

And I also finished my first portfolio dress! I think it's a keeper, though Nate told me, "You look a little like Desmond Tutu in it--I think it's the square thing at the neckline." Why, thanks, honey! 


Bad pic, but it'll do until I get a better one. 

Fireworks a'poppin' already on the first year of legalization. Oh joy. 

2 comments:

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

I love the fabric you chose for your dress! (And the Desmond Tutu comment made me laugh out loud :) Thank you so much for the sweet comment you left on the Portfolio Dress sew along that Chris and I did last year. That's one of the reasons I love blogging... helping other sewists. The positive feedback has me grinning :) Great job!