Sunday, May 4, 2014

May 4: The one that almost got away!

A nice weekend, featuring some good room cleaning on Friday afternoon, a nice people filled visit to N's track meet (where, two hours after I'd left, he PR'd by 10 feet in discuss and matched his PR in shot), and then an evening filled with tidying type errands like returning clothes and packing up stuff for Lyle. Saturday featured breakfast out (I got a $7 off coupon for b'fast for my b'day month at Governor's!), and then a day of cooking, cleaning, and baking in prep for dinner with the Keblinskys; today I facetimed with Lyle (a rare treat), swam 2000 yards hard, then skipped church to do necessary but time-consuming stuff around the house. We'd expected rain, but instead had a mix of rain and then, increasingly, sunshine, though we did have enough thunder that Zeus was reduced to a blithering mess. I talked to Ann and Mom, wrote Julie, did banking, and listened to a lot of my audiobook: the absorbing but slow moving (35 hours?) Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell. And now. . . Sunday night!


The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches (Flavia de Luce, #6)The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches by Alan Bradley
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I generally enjoy Flavia a great deal, and I was looking forward to this outing, but IT DRAGGED. It was predictable (in terms of the pattern of the story and F's character) and boring: painstaking details of three days dragged unrealistically out (could Flavia actually slide out for a plane ride and have no one notice her absence? Really?) but generally being dull. Once again, the mystery was indistinct and unrealistic, but this time the rest of the story lacked zip as well.

I think we all need to move past Harriet's death and on into a life of adventures!

View all my reviews

No comments: