Wednesday, May 28, 2014

May 28: More Books!

Raising Steam (Discworld, #40)Raising Steam by Terry Pratchett
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Stephen Briggs could read the phone book and I'd listen. . . His skills shine in this, the third (?) Moist Von Lipwig book by Pratchett. The plot of RS is the weakest of the three, with a long, slow decline to the end--even one of the characters asks, essentially, "Is that all there is?"--but Pratchett still made me laugh out loud in various places. I recommend it, but it's not his best, so don't start with it!

What to Keep: A NovelWhat to Keep: A Novel by Rachel Cline
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

What to Keep was not a surefire hit: I skimmed a good deal of the first two sections before the story and characters got interesting enough to slow me down. Cline's a skilled writer, but her characters were prickly enough that it took some time for them to win me over.

Belong to MeBelong to Me by Marisa de los Santos
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I love her two books: they are good "peopley" stories even tho many people would say they're too positive, presenting a sense that the world is a good place. She reminds me of Barbara Kingsolver.

Ha! Reread it. . . May 24ish, 2014. Still enjoyed it! VERY readable.

View all my reviews All on a Wednesday!

No comments: