Sunday, May 3, 2015

May 3, Sunday: Tying up some Book Ends. . .

This is How it EndsThis is How it Ends by Kathleen MacMahon
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

At the moment, can't tell if I've dumped it, or just put it to one side for a bit. Seems dull right now, but one reviewer said the first part drags but the rest is much better. Sooooooo, we'll see.

The Rose of SebastopolThe Rose of Sebastopol by Katharine McMahon
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Hey, guess what? War is hell, and sometimes women don't get treated the way they should.

This is essentially the gist of this novel by Katharine McMahon. I'm glad I read her Crimson Rooms first, because in that one her female protag. fights back; in the other two earlier novels I've read since, the characters are a little victim-y and I am not so much of a fan.

Well written, however, and maybe if I reread, I'd enjoy it more. Just not engrossing or really covering new ground.

The Boy in the Suitcase (Nina Borg, #1)The Boy in the Suitcase by Lene Kaaberbøl
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

WOW! Got this one from a list of "If you liked "Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" You'll LIke. . . " on Facebook. This first novel by a team of Danish women is spine-tingling and disturbing but not as graphic, gross, or politically detailed as GWTDT, and is very good. I am looking for more Nina Borgs!

The Keeper of Lost Causes (Department Q, #1)The Keeper of Lost Causes by Jussi Adler-Olsen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Another book recommended for readers who like Girl With the Dragon Tattoo: this one was even better--funnier and more developed characters--than "Boy in the Suitcase." Interesting, fast-paced, suspenseful and peopled with interesting, nuanced characters. Again, I'm looking for the next volume in the series for sure!

View all my reviews

Finally, May has brought us some lovely weather. We still get a sea breeze, but we have two daffodils, more working to bloom, and the crocuses are nearly past. Andy got pansies for the windowboxes, so this week that will be our after-school task. Lots of reading, and lots to do: life is good.

No comments: