Sunday, May 24, 2015

May 24: Happy B'day to Me! And books 'n' stuff!

One Plus OneOne Plus One by Jojo Moyes
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I *loved* this book. The readers were top-notch, the characterization interesting, the conflict moving--really strong focus on how one thing going wrong can cause an avalanche of bad luck for a family on the edge. Hugely enjoyable. Moyes manages the differing viewpoints adeptly. I will listen to this, or read it, again!



Light ThickensLight Thickens by Ngaio Marsh
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I love Marsh, and I've read LT before; it was a real treat to read it as my students and I were studying it in class! Amazing that this was set in 1982: she feels post-war to me, always. Highly recommended, especially for students of Shakespeare!



Lords and Ladies (Discworld, #14)Lords and Ladies by Terry Pratchett
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Highly recommended by various folk (Lyle, Cala, Andy) and I enjoyed it, but the reader (Nigel Planer) didn't do women's voices very well, which weakened the story since it's largely *about* women. Pratchett, as usual, is funny and sly and does great parallels and also makes great points about human nature. . . . I did enjoy it, but I still prefer the Tiffany Aching books!



A Rural AffairA Rural Affair by Catherine Alliott
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Entertaining enough: fairly well-written, but didn't really take advantage of the quirky characters Alliott created. Handed it off to Renee without a qualm. Fluff a step above Katie Fforde, but not Marian Keyes or Jennifer Crusie's level.



Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens AgendaSimon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Found this a huge pleasure. Sharp, funny, touching--probably the teens are a bit too articulate, but that makes the reading even better. Great to read a book with a gay character and love interest that was, essentially, a teen novel--not a message book or a purpose book. Albertalli's writing is endearing, interesting, and funny. I want all my students, kids, and friends to read this book!

View all my reviews

Back home after two weeks of weekend travel: Uncle Tom's 90th and then L's graduation. Both good experiences, but my! Delighted to be home. My b'day: extremely low key, aka "forgotten", but made a great cake and had a nice hike with Lori. More will come. We're all toasted. Lyle home and busy changing up his room and adjusting to life after college with his dumb ol' family (for a bit at least). His room looks great!

I have either bad allergies or a little cold: it's been incredibly dry and windy, so I guess my money's on allergies. Stuffy as can be! Off to lie down and read a bit, perhaps with the Red Sox on. Thank HEAVEN for three day weekends!


No comments: