Thursday, August 15, 2013

August 15: And now time speeds up. . .

The Woman WarriorThe Woman Warrior by Maxine Hong Kingston
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Another "reread for teaching" book. I think I read this in my late high school career and possibly for a class in college, but I remember being really challenged and confused by its narrative structure. What was real? What was fantasy? What was the point?

This time around, I loved it--the various layers of the story were fascinating and absorbing, presenting different realities: some of them familiar to me from my own experience, from stories friends told me, from other stories of assimilation, struggle, and identity; some strange and unsettling. I am really looking forward to using this novel with my AP class this year! I look forward to reading critical essays about it and Kingston's work in general as well.

Highly recommended.

View all my reviews

So much I still want to do, and so many other things I still need to get done. Stunning weather, great people, good work. . . . Je ne regrette rien!

No comments: