Monday, August 26, 2013

August 26: The Days are Waning!

Speaking from Among the Bones (Flavia de Luce, #5 )Speaking from Among the Bones by Alan Bradley
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Really enjoyed this outing with Flavia in the waning days of my lovely summer vacation. She is less obnoxious and a little more reflective while losing none of her sass. My quibbles are that the solution to the murder (you know there's a murder!) is ridiculously convoluted: I still can't figure out why one character is locked up, and the details she notices and uses to draw her conclusions become mindboggling. Also: WHY IS SHE SO FOND OF HER FATHER? She goes on and on, but he's sullen, selfish, withdrawn, and a terrible parent from start to finish. Surely someone as independent as Flavia could see his shortcomings and expect him to work to mend them.

Still: highly enjoyable!

View all my reviews

No comments: