Friday, August 30, 2013

Friday, August 30: End of (Sorta) Week One

Just wanted to record my statement: I am done with people who tell me how heretical or radical they are. For some reason, I find that incredibly self-vaunting and conceited. I'm not sure why, but I will say that I am tired of hearing the story that goes, "Well, you know me, I just reared back and told it like it is. . . " or "And, radical that I am, I refused to accept that excuse. . . " or "Of course, you know how I'm so . . . . . " . Maybe it's flattering self-generalizations I am tired of. But I am tired of them! Prompted by some blog reading, not (hooray) by my first contact with the bulk of this next year's students (new 9th graders), my next FOUR years' advisees (also 9th graders) or (most of) the staff for my next academic year. Those three days have been positive but exhausting. Can't imagine what next Friday will feel like, but this Friday fit nicely next to a gin and tonic on the patio. Wish I could've fit in a nap! Relish: My Life in the KitchenRelish: My Life in the Kitchen by Lucy Knisley
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

First book from the high school library this year--a fun combo of cookbook, memoir, and graphic novel. A tad disjointed, but, more troublingly, also poorly edited, with way too many grammatical and usage errors (misplaced mods, etc) for a book with little text! Bothers me to see such careless editing. Otherwise, it's an interesting book and I hope to make a few recipes from its pages!

View all my reviews

No comments: