Saturday, March 1, 2014

March 1: MARCH! MARCH! MARCH!

Oh, wait: March in Maine. . . . we're not there yet. But still: the sunshine this morning, when I rolled out of bed at the advanced hour of EIGHT a.m., was lush and welcome, and then the snow-globe snow flakes we enjoyed during a walk and during my run were lovely as well. So: we'll take it. March will include my trip to Quebec as chaperone with MDIHS's French trip; Camilla's trip to Hawaii and her 18th birthday; Julie's and Ann's b'days as well; Nate's show choir, jazz choir, and one-act championships; parent conferences and incoming-student night and the first meeting of the new ninth grade teaching team at MDIHS--wow. I'd also like to fit in a dinner party for some adults! So it's good that March has a husky 31 days in it. ONWARDS!


Sand Sharks (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #15)Sand Sharks by Margaret Maron
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Maron writes smoothly and pleasantly; the plot of this entry in the Deborah Knott series runs secondary to the description of relationships, locale, and food. She's a reliable and amiable writer.

View all my reviews


So, and. . .  I am making my variation of local baker Lorena Staples's Double Chocolate Dream Cookies. Says it makes around 30 but we get a lot more.

1 cup butter
1.5 c br sugar
1 c. white sugar
1 tsp vanilla
            Cream that all together. When it's smooth, beat in two eggs.

Then, in a separate bowl, mix 2 3/4 c. flour, 1/2 cup unsw. cocoa powder, 1 tsp baking soda, and 1 tsp salt. Mix that into the butter/egg/sugar mixture (gotta love that Kitchen Aid!). While that's mixing, measure out 2 cups choc. chips (I am using white chocolate ones this time around because we have some that have been on hand for a long time), a cup of chopped nuts if you want (I am using pecans, because why not?), and about 3/4 c. sweetened coconut flakes (also if you want)--at this point, you will really love your Kitchen Aid, but it will not love you.

Heat the oven to 350ish and then make small balls or larger patties and bake for about 12 - 16 mins, till somewhat dry on top.

Yumbo. Will post pic if I remember.



No comments: