Friday, February 21, 2014

Feb. 21: Annnnnd the last one!

Getting to HappyGetting to Happy by Terry McMillan
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Fairly predictable, but a pleasant read.

*Reread Feb. 2014.

View all my reviews




Friday: Pelle goes back home today after a nice visit; he, Cam., Nate and I went out to the Riverside for breakfast, which was great fun and delicious and, finally, not too long! I'll take him up to B'gor around 2; until then I'll plan with Elana and do some correcting, possibly write a letter to Julie, and also clean my room. What ho! Onwards!


BUT: ONE MORE! Finished after we got back from dropping Pelle. It's now raining hard, thundering, and lightning. Go figure.



  Backseat SaintsBackseat Saints by Joshilyn Jackson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Whew! I read this one so fast that I missed some of it--also had a wicked sinus headache for a bit of the time, which tends to slow down comprehension. However, this is certainly a "wow" after several doses of "only okay." I love the way Jackson writes, and her depiction of the patterns and mindset of a woman in an abusive relationship is so far from trite or shallow that it's amazing. I have no idea (thank God) what that experience is like, but her writing and story ring true and powerful.

She can be funny, too, with lines like the VW " sounded like a some fireworks were getting it on with a big bag of asthma in the engine box."

Highly recommended. Readable, well-written, absorbing, and intense.

View all my reviews

No comments: