Saturday, January 9, 2016

Jan. 9: Really? How'd that happen?

I think sometimes only vacation goes this fast, but, wow! This first week back to school flew by! I had an Ed. Leadership Dine and Discuss on Wednesday night and then yoga at the new studio on Thursday, and Nate was home this week, so there was plenty to distract me. Last night N. made dinner (this lovely soup!) and we cleaned the kitchen and took down the Christmas tree and then put the living room back together. Yay! Tonight we'll go out to dinner, and then tomorrow around noon he'll head off for Bates semester #4.

In the meantime. . . . reading, listening, and thinking about stuff. Lots of knitting, not all done by me, which is great: Andy had made two hats and is working on a pair of mittens, and N. is on panel #3 of the amazing Game of Thrones afghan. Such fun!


Someday, Someday, MaybeSomeday, Someday, Maybe by Lauren Graham
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

**NOTE: maybe contains spoilers, but my whole point is that it's not a spoiler because you already know what's going to happen. Read on with this knowledge. **

The reviews from our library patrons were scathing, and I almost gave up, but ultimately I found this to be a "pleasant enough" read. It had some original witty bits like the reproduced Filofax pages, and Graham writes clearly; these two pluses made up for the general sameness of a novel about trying to make it in show biz: guess what? It's hard! And the sexy actor is kind of a jerk (oops. Is that a spoiler?). . . . and the nerdy roommate, on the other hand. . . . : see? You can guess the plot, but I found there to be enough oomph to make it readable as distraction from a busy week in January. I *do* find the "what? I'm beautiful?" schtick offered in many such novels (and by many such crossover stars) to be a bit wearing, but ah well.

Light, but fun.

Long Upon the Land (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #20)Long Upon the Land by Margaret Maron
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I like the Deborah Knott series, and I have read most, if not all, of them. While I enjoyed this one on the whole, I only gave it three stars because it employed the infamous present-tense-flashback format that has crept into so many narratives. These, pertaining to Deborah's mother, Sue, didn't seem to lead to anything or play a major role in the story, so I think they'd be better cut out. However, the story is well written and interesting otherwise.

**Series note: I would recommend reading this series pretty much in order, just because there's a lot of character development through the stories.

View all my reviews

No comments: