Monday, January 21, 2013

Jan. 21: MLK Jr. Day Off


The Accidental FamilyThe Accidental Family by Rowan Coleman
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Just had a discussion with my senior students about what I liked to read and whether I could shut off the critical/analytical side of my brain and enjoy fluff--which, for anyone who's friends with me on Goodreads, is quite a laugh! Coleman's book, another 50 cent treasure from the Library's booksale shelf, is a perfect example. It's JUST interesting and JUST coherently written enough to give me a nice cheery fluff read. The plot line is 100% predictable, the characters (sassy gay friend, check; plucky non-conformist friend who runs a delicious sweet shop, check; unorthodox but loving and lately rediscovered mother, check. . . ) ditto, but it was a fun read. I would guess the next book (the first one, which I haven't read, is "The Accidental Mother") will be The Accidental Career"?  Still, I'd pay 50 cents to read that one, too!

Nice, "lite" reading for a three day weekend in winter.


View all my reviews

The bookbag has been disemboweled and the truth is. . . not as daunting as I'd feared. Still, we need to food shop, pick up my newly tuned up and newly tired (!!) car in Brewer, and then look at all my goals in my earlier post. . .  So, ONWARDS! 

It's also MLK Day, with that wonderful quotation* fresh in my mind, and it's Obama's second Inauguration Day. Big! 

* "Darkness cannot drive out darkness: 
only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

No comments: