Thursday, January 3, 2013

Jan. 3: Cleaning House, and Found a Book I Hadn't Blogged!


Good in Bed (Cannie Shapiro, #1)Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Reread this over vacation as I got a copy at the library book sale. Despite the TERRIBLE title, it's a good book--Weiner usually tries to position herself as a creator of literature who is named a "chick lit author" because of her gender and subject, and I had that issue in mind while I read the novel this time. It's a well-written, kind, often funny, sometimes sad, story, but I don't think it quite qualifies as Literature. Not sure why, but I think it's the sense that everything is really going to turn out okay: in Literature, I think one needs the terrifying sense that it might not. I admire Weiner's protection of her characters (and, by extension, her readers!) and I really enjoyed this book!


View all my reviews

Cold here in Ellsworth: 0.0 this morning. Woke up at 4:30 am as per usual at the start of a cold. . . so glad it's Thursday "already". . .  Cheers! Happy 2013!

No comments: