Sunday, February 8, 2009

Feb. 8: Community

My Sundays tend to be quite tightly scheduled: I get up around 7, walk to the Y around 8, swim, shower/shave my legs, walk home, change for church, get to church. . .on and on in an (I know) dizzying list of exciting activities. Still, the program works for me, allowing me to balance my social/personal/family/school requirements quite well most of the time.

Today, however, I experienced an embarrassment of community, and my! I couldn't stick to a schedule to save my life. . . and I was somehow smart enough to realize that the non-scheduled aspect of life is what makes it rich and memorable, and I enjoyed it. I had a good long conversation with the lifeguard, also mom of a former student, about my allergic ? reaction to the pool lately, and she made several great suggestions, and then when I came out of the shower, a fellow swimmer and retired teacher who's spoken to my AP classes before had a reading list she thought (rightly) that I'd enjoy, and by the time I was out of the locker room I was about 20 mins. later than usual. I hit the lobby and ran into one of Elder's friends and his mom, waiting for a ride to the big Y meet in Bath, and we had a nice conversation about life in general, but also the friend's reading assignment for school. . . . so, needless to say, I was at a pretty good trot by the time I got home! But what a gift to have those points of contact, those people who engage with us on a more than business level, who enrich our exchanges and our days.

Even as I was striding home, I was planning a dinner party for as big a group of people as I could imagine--just to say thanks for throwing me off my schedule by their interesting, varied, outgoing existence.

No comments: